With the advent of a multitude of coaching programs in the Philippines, being offered by hyped and self-proclaimed executive coaches, choosing the right coaching program may be tough to do.
So, how do we choose the right coaching program?
- The coaching program must be approved, accredited or certified by a well-known or prestigious coaching association. Almost everyone nowadays can create or develop their own program for coaching. So choosing the right coaching program for you must first be based on high standards. A coaching program that underwent rigorous review and validation will always mean that the coaching program underwent a quality process. Choose one that has been validated by International Coach Federation (ICF).
- The coaching program company should have the same core values as yours. The core values are the guiding principles that dictate behavior and action. Core values can help people to know what is right from wrong; they can help companies to determine if they are on the right path and fulfilling their business goals; and they create an unwavering and unchanging guide. If the coaching program company core values are similar to yours, chances are, you are getting the right training.
- Check for competencies. A coach who just learned from experience, might not be the coach trainer you are looking for. Choose a company that’s authentic and is following industry standards.
- Start with the basics. Choose coaching programs that focus on the foundations of coaching. Don’t take specialize coaching training too soon. Invest in a coaching program that focuses on foundational coaching skills. Developing the right coaching mindset is essential aside from the skills and tools sets.
- Learn to coach. Don’t get intimidated by famous name coaches who sell their coaching programs. Learn to coach first before marketing yourself. Learn to coach from certification coaching programs that you can find,. Don’t worry to much in marketing yourself. Building your reputation as a coach matters first.
- Get certifications. Don’t waste your resources on getting trained to coach from non credential training institutions. Do your research and find companies that give out certifications to deserving individuals. Getting certified means being recognized as a coach. Better yet, choose a program that is ICF-approved.